Monday, February 11, 2013

"The Prophecy of the Popes," and the Resignation of Pope Benedict XVI

Wikipedia has the following to say about the Prophecy of the Popes:

"The Prophecy of the Popes, attributed to Saint Malachy, is a list of 112 short phrases in Latin. They purport to describe each of the Roman Catholic popes (along with a few anti-popes), beginning with Pope Celestine II (elected in 1143) and concluding with current pope Benedict XVI's successor, a pope described in the prophecy as "Peter the Roman", whose pontificate will end in the destruction of the city of Rome."

If it's not in the Bible, I don't pay too much attention to it. Even though I subscribe to the Conspiratorial Theory of History (see my post, Conspiracy 101), I will readily admit that this is not found in the Bible and is only a theory.

I did not get all exited when I found out that the Mayan Calendar ended in 2012. And I did not give it any thought when Dr. Harold Camping predicted that Jesus was going to return in 2011 (two failed predictions that year!).  I have known - and believed - for many years that my Lord Jesus says 'no man knows the day or he hour of his return.'

And so it is with this new wind of doctrine, the 'Prophecy of the Popes.'  With the news that Pope Benedict XVI is resigning (the first pope to do so in 600 years!), there is going to be a lot of speculation on whether or not the next pope will be the last pope and thus fulfil the Prophecy of the Popes. I don't think so.

But my skepticism is tempered by my belief in the Bible - Our Lord Jesus will return one day. That is a fact. The Bible talks a lot about this (Daniel, Revelation, Matthew 24, etc.).  Most of these prophecies I don't claim to understand.

Having said all that, if I were a writer of Christian novels, like Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins (Left Behind fame), I can think of no better plot than writing a novel about the end times staring Barack Obama as the Antichrist (see my post, Is Obama the Antichrist? I Say Yes!) and the successor to Pope Benedict would be the False Prophet that is written about in the book of Revelation!

Chapter One would probably start with a limited nuclear war involving Iran or North Korea. Then world leaders and the media would start calling for Obama to head up the United Nations, and the new Pope would be acting as his cheer leader, encouraging people to Give honor to God and our Lord and Savior Barack Obama!

Recommended reading (my posts):

Saving Those Damned Catholics
The Things Which Must Soon Come to Past

Recommended poetry reading:

'Twas the Night Before Jesus Came

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)