Sunday, January 5, 2014

What's The Difference Between Motivational Speaking and Biblical Preaching?

What's The Difference Between Motivational Speaking and Biblical Preaching? - christianpost.com

Here is an excerpt from this article:

"There are tremendous differences between "motivational speaking" and "biblical preaching." In America today, many churches offer one or the other. One approach leaves people "encouraged" in their emotions and in their "self-esteem." The other builds up Christians in the Gospel as the Holy Spirit applies the Scriptures to the hearts and minds of the hearers."
------------------------------------------

This is a great article! Although I'm not a minister (never been one, never will be one!), I do link to to a lot of sermons on my blog (My Gospel Project). And I feel confident that the sermons I link to fall into the category of "Biblical Preaching," and not "Motivational Speaking!"

Here is an excerpt from a related article:

Why I Called Out Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer

"When I was a kid I could tell the difference between neighborhood kids who wanted to be my friend from the neighborhood kids who were my friends so that they could play with my toys.  Joel and Joyce are the latter.  They both teach a twisted form of Christianity that teaches obedience, giving and faith as a way to get things from God.  They are both products of what is known as the Prosperity Gospel and The Word of Faith Movement, or the Seed Faith Movement."
-------------------------------------------

Someone once said:

"Somewhere, like in Texas, there were preachers who preached it all, from Genesis to Revelation, without blinking an eye. I took great comfort in knowing that, even while I preached a pitiful, compromised, peeled-down gospel, that somewhere good old Bible believing preachers were offering their congregations the unadulterated Word, straight up!" (Source unknown)


If you want to do your own research into this topic, here are some "sermons" and "speeches" you can listen to (I took the liberty to give my opinion as to which are "Biblical Preaching" and which are "Motivational Speeches." Feel free to disagree!):

When You Need a Miracle...Wiggle, by Joyce Meyer (Motivational Speaking)
How to Be Successful, by Joel Osteen (Motivational Speaking)
Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, by Jonathan Edwards (Biblical Preaching)
Compel Them to Come In, by Pastor Charles Spurgeon (Biblical Preaching)
How to Benefit from a Funeral, by Dr. David Murray (Biblical Preaching)
Why Persecution is Coming to the Church in America, by Pastor Kevin Swanson (Biblical Preaching)

For further study:
Preaching and Preachers, by Dr. Martin Lloyd Jones (very highly recommended!!!)
Are We Preachers or Witch Doctors? (very highly recommended!!!)

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)